Steps for filing a Petition
Step 1. Complete NLRB Form 502*
- Form NLRB-502 (RC) - RC Petition – Certification of Representative**
- Form NLRB-502 (RD) - RD Petition – Decertification (Removal of Representative)**
- Form NLRB-502 (RM) - RM Petition – Certification of Representative (To be filed by Employer/Petitioner)**
- Form NLRB-502 (UD) - UD Petition – Deauthorization of Union Shop Authority (Removal of Obligation to Pay Dues)
(Please contact an information officer at your nearest Regional Office for assistance.)
Step 2. Gather the blank NLRB Form 505 – Statement of Position and NLRB Form 4812 – Description of Procedures.
Step 3. E-mail, fax, overnight deliver, or hand deliver the signed and dated NLRB Form 502, blank NLRB Form 505 – Statement of Position, and NLRB Form 4812 – Description of Procedures to the employer and any other involved labor organization.
Step 4. Complete NLRB Form 5544 – Certificate of Service of Petition.
Step 5. E-File, fax, overnight deliver, or hand deliver to the Regional Office the signed and dated NLRB Form 502, the signed and dated NLRB Form 5544 – Certificate of Service of Petition, and the showing of interest in support of the petition. Do NOT send the showing of interest to the employer or labor organization. To file a petition, a copy of the showing of interest is sufficient. *Note: If filing an electronic showing of interest, follow the procedures outlined in GC Memorandum 15-08: Guidance Memorandum on Electronic Signatures.
Step 6. Within two business days, mail, overnight deliver, or hand deliver the original showing of interest to the Regional Office.
* Other less commonly used petition forms can be found here.
** Please consult the applicable chart to determine the appropriate filing period.
FORM NLRB-4645 – Timely Filing of Petitions (Not for use in Health Care Cases)
FORM NLRB 5254 – Timely Filing of Petitions – Health Care Industry Only