Steps for filing a Petition
Step 1. Complete NLRB Form 502*
- Form NLRB-502 (RC) - RC Petition – Certification of Representative
- Form NLRB-502 (RD) - RD Petition – Decertification (Removal of Representative)
- Form NLRB-502 (RM) - RM Petition – Certification of Representative (To be filed by Employer/Petitioner)
- Form NLRB-502 (UD) - UD Petition – Deauthorization of Union Shop Authority (Removal of Obligation to Pay Dues)
(Please contact an information officer at your nearest Regional Office for assistance.)
Step 3. E-mail, fax, overnight deliver, or hand deliver the signed and dated NLRB Form 502, blank NLRB Form 505 – Statement of Position, and NLRB Form 4812 – Description of Procedures to the employer and any other involved labor organization.
Step 4. Complete NLRB Form 5544 – Certificate of Service of Petition.
Step 5. E-File, fax, overnight deliver, or hand deliver to the Regional Office the signed and dated NLRB Form 502, the signed and dated NLRB Form 5544 – Certificate of Service of Petition, and the showing of interest in support of the petition. Do NOT send the showing of interest to the employer or labor organization. To file a petition, a copy of the showing of interest is sufficient. *Note: If filing an electronic showing of interest, follow the procedures outlined in GC Memorandum 15-08: Guidance Memorandum on Electronic Signatures.
Step 6. Within two business days, mail, overnight deliver, or hand deliver the original showing of interest to the Regional Office.
* Other less commonly used petition forms can be found here.